Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Celebrating Spring series - No one does colour better than Anthropologie

In my home I like to keep the tone neutral - whites in the bedroom, creams in the living room. I've been known to paint a few accent walls olive green, burgundy and deep blue. But my preference is for the canvas to be simple.

Colour for me comes in the accessories. I love colourful cushions, paintings, books, objects I've picked up on my travels, rugs, lamps. There is often no rhyme or reason for the colour combinations, they just work for me or the items are too special to resist displaying together. I'm always amazed how different colours that you might not think to combine often work brilliantly.

At the moment my living room has cream as the base with yellow and red as the primary colours. Not a combination I had ever thought of but finding red and cream cushions I loved, and one day absentmindedly throwing on a lone yellow cushion I had, brought this combination to life for me. I am also very taken with navy and burnt orange at the moment...

Anthropologie is always top of my shopping list. They combine many colours and the result is always simple, beautiful and just what you were looking for.


I'm very taken with the blue, yellow and black butterfly linen in the first photo. It wouldn't work in my bedroom but perhaps in a guestroom. And I'm sure I can find space in my kitchen cupboards for the floral jug and many of the multi-coloured glasses. Oh, and I'm definitely in the market for a turquoise fruit bowl. Fruit will never have tasted so good!

Anthropologie is an American store. It was a very happy day for me early last year to find out that they were opening branches in London.

x


(Images: Anthropologie March 2011 catalogue)

No comments:

Post a Comment